TAMPA, June 10, 2022 – University of South Florida pitcher Georgina Corrick was voted the Schutt Sports/NFCA Division I National Pitcher of the Year, the coaching association announced on Friday.
“Georgina will be the first to tell you that her teammates and her support staff deserve a lot of credit,” head coach Ken Eriksen said. “That should tell you who she is. A person that when her softball career is over won’t necessarily have needed the game to define her as a person. However, she is an incredibly talented ball player that happens to pitch extremely well. Talent is one thing but combine that with a work ethic (physically and mentally) that she possesses and we can see why the recognitions keep coming for this incredible young woman.”
Corrick, who was named a first-team All-American by NFCA, D1Softball and Softball America, adds the award to a growing list of other accolades, including top three finalist for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award, Honda Sports Award for Softball finalist, CoSIDA Academic All-America of the Year and American Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Year.
The Great Britain National Team member finished her senior season with a 37-5 record, leading the Bulls to a NCAA tournament regional appearance in Tallahassee. She also threw 418 of the 1,002 batters that she faced this season, allowing only 20 earned runs to cross the plate. With 21 shutouts, her ERA was 0.51 in 274.1 innings pitched.
The right-hander leads the country in ERA, innings pitched, shutouts, strikeout-to-walk ratio (12.29), strikeouts and victories. As the ace of the Bulls pitching staff, she helped the team rank fourth in the country in ERA and second in shutouts, only behind national champion Oklahoma.
During the 2022 campaign, Corrick tossed two perfect games against Florida A&M (March 6) and Houston (April 30) and a no-hitter against ECU (April 2).
In her time with the Bulls, Corrick broke or tied at least 40 different USF or AAC records:
- USF Career No-Hitters (8; Tied Sara Nevins)
- USF Career Starts (142; Passed Nevins’ 109)
- USF Career Complete Games (103; Passed Monica Triner‘s 79)
- USF Career Innings Pitched (985.2; Passed Nevins’ 844.1)
- USF Career Victories (113; Passed Nevins’ 101)
- USF Career Strikeouts (1,302; Passed Nevins’ 1,103)
- USF Career Strikeouts Per Seven Innings (9.24; Passed Nevins’ 9.14)
- USF Career Shutouts (55; Passed Triner’s 37)
- USF Career Opponent Batting Average (.159; Passed Nevins’ .170)
- USF Career Perfect Games (2; Tied Nevins)
- AAC Career Wins (113; Passed UCF’s Alea White’s 99)
- AAC Career ERA (1.03; Passed Nevins’ 1.35)
- AAC Career Strikeouts (1,302; Passed Tulsa’s Emily Watson’s 903)
- AAC Career Complete Games (103; Tied UCF’s White)
- AAC Career Shutouts (55; Passed Tula’s Watson’s 34)
- AAC Career Perfect Games (2; Passed two with one)
- AAC Career No-Hitters (8; Passed Nevins’ 4)
- USF Season No-Hitters (4 in 2021; Tied Sara Nevins)
- USF Season Perfect Games (2 in 2022; Passed two with one)
- USF Season Complete Games (34 in 2022; Passed Ellis’ 33 in 2004)
- USF Season Win Percentage (0.881 in 2022; Passed Jennifer Thompson’s 0.862 in 1998)
- USF Season Shutouts (21 in 2022; Passed Corrick’s 15 in 2021 and Ellis’ 15 in 2004)
- USF Season Strikeouts Per Seven Innings (10.67 in 2022; Passed Lindsey Richardson’s 10.36 in 2013)
- USF Season Strikeouts (418 in 2022; Passed Nevins’ 336 in 2012)
- USF Season Opponent Batting Average (.121)
- AAC Season Wins (37 in 2022; Passed Tulsa’s Watson’s 30 in 2017)
- AAC Season ERA (0.51 in 2022; Passed UCF’s Shelby Turnier’s 0.87 in 2015)
- AAC Season Innings Pitched (274.1 in 2022; Passed UCF’s White’s 266.2 in 2018)
- AAC Season Strikeouts (418 in 2022; Passed Tulsa’s Watson’s 348 in 2017)
- AAC Season Opposing Batting Average (.121; Passed UCF’s Mackenzie Audas’ .141 in 2015)
- AAC Season Perfect Games (2 in 2022; Passed two with one)
- AAC Season No-Hitters (4 in 2021; Tied USF’s Nevins’ four in 2014)
- AAC Season Conference-Only Wins (12 in 2019, 2022; Tied USF’s Nunn’s 12 in 2016)
- AAC Season Conference-Only ERA (0.41 in 2021; Passed UCF’s Turnier’s 0.47 in 2015)
- AAC Season Conference-Only Strikeouts (146 in 2022; Passed her 2021 total of 129)
- AAC Season Conference-Only Opposing Batting Average (.110 in 2021; Passed UCF’s Turnier’s .137 in 2015)
- USF Game Strikeouts (19; Passed two with 18)
- USF NCAA Tournament Game Strikeouts (13 against South Alabama in 2021)
- AAC Career Pitcher of the Week Honors (26)
- AAC Season Pitcher of the Week Honors (9)
The Schutt Sports/NFCA Pitcher of the Year award was first awarded in 2019, an additional award alongside the Player of the Year award that had been presented since 2016. The award was voted on by members of the National Fastpitch Coaches Association NCAA Division I All-American Committee.